Follow by Email

Thursday, March 24, 2016

New Work

In keeping with my reuse/reinvent/use up mode, here is something I did with one of the three remaining sheets of Yupo.  The background was watercolor that I mostly wiped off and the rest is alcohol inks.  I added the small dots with oil pastels.  The frame came from the Salvation Army.


Sunday, March 20, 2016

Finished

Here is the finished product.  I started with this canvas which was one of my do overs.  I covered it with papers and then sealed it with soft gel gloss medium.



I thought it was a little bright so I toned it down with a couple of coats of thinned Van Dyke brown.  Then I hot glued and sewed the dress to the canvas.  I popped it into a spare frame after I took the picture and we are good to go.


I think I could have done a better of centering it top to bottom but it is too late now.


Friday, March 18, 2016

More Patterning

I am really getting into this patterns thing.  Since I have enough patterns to wallpaper a decent sized room, the ideas for projects just keep coming.  I wanted to do a 2D project and I came up with two ideas.


This was my original idea.  This is a dress pattern for a rabbit doll glued into an 18 x 24 sheet of heavy drawing paper.  The background is red papers collaged into the drawing paper and then the whole thing was coated with soft gel gloss medium.  I am loving the stuff.  I had a tube of it for years but I have managed to blow halfway through an 8oz jar in about three weeks.  I will need to get a frame for this.



This was my PlanB.  I just collaged more dress patterns over a child's dress found at the Salvation Army.  I plan on mounting it onto a canvas with some glue, needle and thread.

Stay tuned for the Big Reveal.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

New Work

I have been working faithfully at the studio for several days on a project for the Attleboro Art Museum national juried show coming up soon.  The theme is Patterns which until a few days ago was stumping me.  My friend Laura gave me the idea of making something out of dress patterns so this is the result.  It was a fun project and I must also thank the unknown woman who donated bunny patterns to Savers.  She carefully cut out all the patterns and placed them in carefully labeled envelopes.


Monday, March 7, 2016

Giving Up

I gave up on one of my children the other day.  No, not the real ones.  It was an art piece I was struggling with.  It was something I started when I was doing  collage with some friends.  I felt that it had potential because I didn't exactly hate it but after struggling with it for a few days and cutting it apart, I tossed it in the trash.  After all, it was only paper.

But the good news is that I had done two pieces.  I cut apart the second piece and I ended up with two pieces that I like a lot.   You can see where they fit together and here they are:



Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Art and Clouds

I spent the morning dropping of art pieces for shows.  As I was dropping off in Wickford for the member show, I saw these strange looking clouds over the bay.  I had my camera with me for a change and I took a few quick shots.  Then I quickly retreated to the car because it was so cold!